The "Gatekeepers"

What’s your opinion on the current trend of gatekeeping in modern occult circles?

“The profession of shaman has many advantages. It offers high status with a safe livelihood free of work in the dreary, sweaty sense. In most societies it offers legal privileges and immunities not granted to other men. But it is hard to see how a man who has been given a mandate from on High to spread tidings of joy to all mankind can be seriously interested in taking up a collection to pay his salary; it causes one to suspect that the shaman is on the moral level of any other man. But it’s lovely work if you can stomach it.” - Robert Heinlein

1 Like

Yup, don’t understand what you’re saying here really. Maybe explain like I’m five? :rofl:

Gatekeeping generally kind of sucks but at the same time niche scenes also kind of suck once they go mainstream too.

And I don’t means because “la see da I’m too elitist to do what’s popular” I mean legit pitfalls.

So there’s probably a balance there and I’m not sure exactly where it is so I just keep playing it by ear, case by case, and try not to hand someone anything they aren’t ready for.

I do not however, buy into gatekeeping because it’s “dangerous to play with forces you don’t understand”. The effort vs reward in magick is such that if you are too bad at it you aren’t good enough to do any damage I think.

I just mean I don’t hand someone step 5 before they complete step 1. Build on a good foundation and all that to not stunt your learning.

1 Like

See, that’s why I don’t hand pretty much anything to anyone anymore.

You never know what the damn fool might do with it.

Heinlein is basically saying that the gatekeeper who claims special authority, from whoever or whatever, is probably doing it for the money and power.

1 Like

Ah, I really didn’t understand, so that was helpful. Thank you!

1 Like