"Recipe" style magick

Where do you stand on the view of magick as a recipe you follow.

Like the Hollywood style magick where if you say the right words or draw the right symbols or complete the right steps it just happens.

I personally believe that there’s more to it than that (practice, skill, achieving altered states, etc), but I have run into people who even do the same path that I do who believe in the recipe style.

‘Recipe’ spells make a good jumping off point for people new to magic(k), but basically I agree with you. It doesn’t generate the power of knowing the format you’re after and reaching the right state of mind. As with anything, practice increases skill.

4 Likes

I use recipe style magick sometimes. I’m very fond of hoodoo and even made mojo bags.

1 Like

It’s of no use at all to me, except maybe for the purpose of analyzing what the author of the “recipe” saw as symbolic for their purposes.

1 Like

I believe in certain words of power, and I also believe that unless we are spiritually in tune with our meaning and the meaning of these words, that they have no power when we speak them. Its our essence that empowers these ideas, and we have to be them in order for anything to happen.

2 Likes

I personally like it since it’s easier for me to process the information like that, hence why all the spells i make are “recipe spells”. It’s just a form of chunkining for me tbh.

1 Like

Intent and a clear mind are super important for any spell. If there’s a ritual to get you there or a ‘recipe’ I think it’s all fine :slight_smile: however you choose to practice is up to you I think it an vary greatly from person to person. I use many different techniques. Spells from books IF they resonate with me. I don’t think everything in a book pertains to me. Does anyone use ley lines if they’re available to tap into ‘older magic’? I don’t live near any right now it’s depressing but I’ll feel them sometimes when I’m in different places. Most are weak but it is still soothing.

If following a recipe gives you more confidence in its outcome, I say go for it :slight_smile:

Or create your own recipes, and spread them around to see if they resonate with anyone else.

1 Like